Some customer has bought our Porsche Multi-functional Steering Wheel Upgrade STMV1 Steering Master Adapter but have no idea how to install it. Here’s the step-by-step installation guide provided.
Support Model: Panamera – 971
Without heating support
Panamera （2010-2016） Cayenne （2011-2015）
Carrera-911 （2009-2016） Cayman （2009-2016）
With heating support
Multifunction retrofit kit Models Support :
Adapter works mechanism diagram
Adapter works mechanism
Adapter convert LIN BUS protocol and buttons backlight signal, heating function to ﬁt original steering wheel control module.
Connection diagram of STMV1 adapter without heating support
Remove steering wheel
1# T25 Torx
2# Slotted screwdriver
3# M12 XZN/Triple Square bits socket
(1) Remove airbag
- Insert T25 torx to #2 hole until you can feel the spring, and then gently pull the airbag unit outward.
(2) Remove connector
2.1 Remove airbag connector, orange plastic tabs(1) need to be popped up ﬁrst.
(3) Remove airbag
3.1 Remove airbag form steering wheel
(4) Remove connector
4.1 Remove clock spring connector(2) and heating connector(1)
(5) Unscrew the bolts
5.1 Unscrew the (1)bolts use M12 XZN/ Triple Square bits socket with torque wrench
Install steering master adapter
1# 1.5mm Slotted screwdriver 2# T20 Torx
3# M12 XZN
(1) Remove mounting plate
- Unscrew airbag mounting plate 3 ﬁxed bolts by T20
(2) Remove mounting plate
- Remove airbag mounting
(3) Connector pinout
- Clock spring connector
(4) Remove connector lock
(5) Reassemble the plug
- Insert adapter harness PINs to position #11&12 of plug
(6) Reassemble the plug
- Insert wire harness PIN to #11&12
(7) Wire harness path
- wire harness route path,ﬁxed
(8) Adapter connect instruction
- Remove original #3 plug housing, connect it to #2 socket source from
- Connect #3 plug to original steering wheel electronic
- Connect #1
(9) Adapter ﬁxed position
- Insert adapter to top space of electronic box and ﬁxed
(10) Adapter ﬁxed
- Cover adapter and connector with
(11) Fixed steering wheel and airbag
- Reassemble airbag holding plate, remember pull 2 shift paddles plug out of airbag holding plate, reconnect all plugs after ﬁxed
Install adapter with heating support(STMV1-H)
STMV1-H support steering wheel heating, this module have an extra socket to connect heating temperature and switch plug.
Heating switch of new steering wheel need remove and replace resistor(Step.15).
(11) Remove back cover
- Remove new wheel back cover
(12) Remove heat switch cover
- Remove heat switch cover
(13) Remove heat switch
- Remove heat switch cover
(14) Remove heat switch
12.1 Remove heat switch cover
(15) Modify heat switch resistor (important)
- Remove 8.22K resistance, keep it empty
- Replace 22.2K resistance with 390 ohm, new 390 ohm resistance supply with adapter package.
Soldering temperature 330-350C°
(16) Adapter heat support socket connection guide
Remove original heating temperature sensor and switch plug form electronic box in steering wheel, connect this plug to STMV1-H adapter heating support socket.
Adapter insert setting the top of electronics box in Wheel like this photo,Insert top side of adapter into gap ﬁrst.
(17) Reassemble heat switch cover
- Reassemble heat switch cover
(18) Reassemble back cover
- Reassemble new wheel back cover
(19) Cover adapter with tape
Cover adapter and connector with tape, it’s supplied with adapter kits
How to remove new airbag
Insert T25 torx to one side hole until you can feel the spring, and then gently pull the torx side airbag unit outward, other side same process.
(a) How to upgrade steering wheel with heating?
Steering column control module need active heating function, install heating supported spring clock, steering wheel need support heating also.Heating support adapter kits parts number is STMV1-H
Original with sport style steering wheel upgrade multifunction steering wheel, need coding the vehicle steering control module from sport style wheel to multifunction, input“Multifunction enable code” and coding the car by PIWIS. Following this coding guide
- 1 Upgrade to new steering wheel
Adapter ﬁt Carrera 997.1 need upgrade the steering column module to 997.2(997.613.289.01 or 997.613.289.00) .997.1 upgrade steering control module reference http://porschepiwistester2.blogspot.com/2017/12/how-to-code-porsche-9971-steering-wheel.html
- Steering wheel airbag upgrade safety
New and original steering wheel airbag connect to control module through clock spring connector PIN#3 #4 #5 #6, it’s independent system, we haven’t made any changes to it.The most important thing is buy genuine airbag of Porsche.