This tip will help solve Ford& Mazda VCMII 2-in-1 software update error “VCMII requires a factory reset”.
IDS – VCMII software update:
There was a problem updating your VCMII software.
You VCMII requires a factory reset.
VCM 2 for Ford& Mazda 2-in-1 I’m using:
With PCB below (this makes it different from Ford VCMII kit alone):
How to do VCMII factory reset:
- Shut down the IDS application if it is running
- Power off VCM2
- Disconnect the USB cable from the PC USB port
- Disconnect the USB cable from the VCM2 diagnostic multiplexer
- Disconnect the vehicle cable from the vehicle DLC
- Remove the VCMII device rubber boot at the USB cable connection side
- Verify that all LEDs on VCM2 are off
- Start the IDS application.
- Press and hold the plastic tab. Do not release the tab until Step 11.
- Connect the VCM II to the PC using the USB cable.
- Wait for the VCM II’s Power LED to remain on and for the unit to beep.
- Release the plastic tab – the VCM II will be in Recovery Mode.
- The IDS pop-up window shown as below will appear notifying the user that a new version of VCM II software is available. Select the Tick button to update the VCM II software.
For detailed instruction on factory reset, refer to